The term Font refers to a set of characters and numerals that have common characteristics. It defines the size of each letter and the number of characters in a line. Fonts affect the readability and appeal of a document. Selection of an appropriate font is vital for the success of a web site. Windows comes with some preloaded fonts along with their variations. They are:
- Courier New
- Times New Roman
- MS Serif
- Sans Serif
Apart from these fonts, Windows also provides additional fonts to beautify your documents. To view these fonts, click the Font icon in control panel. All the fonts already installed will be visible. On clicking any font, a popup box displays a sample of that font in all its variations and sizes. The copyright information is also displayed here. You can also print this sample.
Installing new fonts:
There are innumerable fonts available on the Internet. They are free to download and can be used in various programs after being installed. To install a new font follow these steps:
- Unzip and save the font file on the computer.
- Click Fonts icon in the control panel.
- Click File > Install New Font.
- Select the folder where font file is located. The list of all the fonts stored in that location is displayed in the List of Fonts Box.
- Clear the Copy Fonts to Windows check box if you wish to save space. It is not recommended if the font files are stored on a removable drive.
- Choose the font to be loaded from the list of fonts or select all. Hold down the control key if multiple non-contiguous names have to be selected. Click OK.
- The font is installed and its name now appears in the Installed Font list.
Removing existing fonts:
Installed fonts occupy memory. Therefore, those fonts that are not being used can be removed to free memory in the following manner.
- Click the Fonts icon in the Control Panel.
- Click on the font to be removed.
- Go to Files > Delete.
- You will be asked to confirm the deletion of the font. Click on Yes.
- The font is deleted and is removed from the Installed Fonts list.
Do not remove the MS Sans Serif font as it is used for most of the Dialog Boxes.